Lip Asymmetry or Lip Shape Correction
Patients who want to increase the fullness of their lips or correct lip contour can able to achieve through Oral and maxillofacial treatment procedure. When lower lip weakness does not resolve then a symmetric smile can be repositioned by weakening the normal side. Injection of local anesthesia into the muscles of the lip produces temporary weakness lasting one to two hours. This simple test performed in the clinic offers the opportunity for patients to determine the effects produced by lip surgery. Similarly a more prolonged trial can be obtained by injecting Botox into the lip depressor muscles. The local muscle weakness produced by Botox lasts up to six months and can be repeated providing an alternative to surgery.
If the individual is satisfied with the improvement in symmetry produced by injection of local anesthesia or Botox then the effect can be made permanent during a short outpatient procedure. The surgery is performed inside the mouth avoiding the creation of external scars. Segments of the lip depressor muscles are removed on the normal side (myectomy) to produce a more harmonious smile.
For faster recovery:
- Limit talking and chewing should be limited during the first 48 hours
- Keep ice packs applied to your lips for the first 48 hours
- Sleep in a semi-upright position for the first week or so (do not sleep on your stomach)
- Avoid strenuous activities for 1-3 days
- Limit smiling and laughing for the first week
- Keep the lips clean to avoid infection (antibiotics may also be dispensed
- To avoid unnecessary swelling or bleeding, do not bend over, strain, exercise or do any other activities that could increase pressure to your lips
Patients who want to increase the fullness of their lips or correct lip contour can achieve it through Oral and maxillofacial treatment procedure.